NASCIO Community Tutorial
Welcome to NASCIO’s online community! I’m so glad you’re here! My name is Julie and I’m here to help you with your Community needs. Feel free to contact me via the community or by email if you have any questions.
Looking to get started? Click on each topic to see some of my favorite tips:
1. Log in at https://community.nascio.org/home. Use the username and password that you received via email. Email Membership if you need help with your username or password.
3. Adjust your community email notifications. Go to My Profile and click on the "My Account" tab. Choose Community Notifications from the drop-down menu. For each discussion, you have the following delivery options:
2. Fill out your profile. We want to get to know you! Be sure to fill out your Job History, Education, and other areas—these will help your like-minded peers find you! Completing your profile lets other users know who they’re talking with and allows them to attribute your great insight and advice to a friendly face. Email Membership if you have any contact changes.
- Real time: sends an email every time a new message is posted
- Daily digest: sends one email to you each day, consolidating all of the posts from the previous day
- No Email: allows you to be part of the group without having emails sent to you. You can still post and read others’ messages by logging into the community site.
4. Find all NASCIO Members in the Member Directory. Find anyone in the NASCIO Community in the 'Directory' tab! Search by name, state, email, job title and even city. From here, you have access to all NASCIO Members contact information.
5. Join a NASCIO Event. Participate in NASCIO by RSVPing to a monthly issue forum or virtual meeting. You will be able to collaborate with NASCIO peers whom have similar interests.
6. Start or Reply to a Discussion. To post your own new question to the community, from the top navigation menu, click Participate, then Post a Message. Select which community you’d like the question posted into, add your subject and then type your question. You can add attachments if needed at the bottom of the screen. When you’re done, just click send!
If you’re already in the community you want to post to, you can click “Add” in the Discussion tab and follow the same steps as above.
To reply to someone else’s post, click the blue, Reply to Discussion button. Type your response, add any attachments necessary, and then click send.
Replying Directly to a Person as a Private Message
In a community, everyone benefits from discussions because we all get to learn and problem solve together. But we also understand that there are times when it’s more appropriate to reply directly to a person, rather than the entire community. To send a private reply, click the arrow next to the blue “Reply to Discussion” button. From the drop-down menu, select “Reply to Sender”. Your response will only be sent to the person you’re sending a private reply to.
7. Check out the Library. The community is all about collaborating and learning from one another. The Library is the perfect place to share and download documents, videos, links, and more. To view a community’s library resources, first go into the community you want to see resources for. Once there, select “Library” from the community navigation. Once in the library, you can view the various documents within that specific library.
Downloading a Library File
To view an item in detail or to download the item, click a document within the library. Then, click Download. The document will now download to your computer.
9. Community Resources. In addition to the Community libraries, we also have these resources:
Uploading a Library File
To share a resource with the community and add it to the library, go into the community library you want to add the resource to. Click the green “Create Entry” button. Enter the necessary information and click Next. Click “Choose and Upload” to select the document from your computer or other repository. Once you’ve added the file, click the blue Upload button. You can now select the green “Finish” button.
10. Search Bar. Want more refined search results? Here are some tips:
- Forum & Webcast Recordings: Access the recordings for our Forum, Corporate Member Exchanges, State CIO Roundtable Chats, and for our member only webcasts!
- Corporate Perspective Blog: See what our Corporate Members are saying in a blog on State CIOs Top Ten Priorities! Want to write a Corporate Perspective blog? Email Lori at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Careers: Looking to post a job opportunity or want to browse open positions? View our Careers page! NASCIO shares public sector IT positions as a service to our members and the larger IT community. To submit a job opening, contact Lisa Thompson, NASCIO Deputy Director.
11. What now? It's time to join the conversation!
- Be specific - use keywords to help find what you are looking for
- Select the type of content you are looking for (Tip: Discussion Threads and Library Entries tend to be the most helpful)
- Use filters! Narrow down your search with filters (Tip: If you are searching for a Library Entry you can filter by file type, i.e. videos, documents)
- Let us know you’re here. Join a conversation or start one of your own.
- Ask questions. What do you want to know more about? Have a question about anything from professional development to everyday problems? There's someone out there with the answer.
- Share ideas. Is there a hot topic you want to discuss? How about a lesson you've learned that might help your fellow members? Start a discussion thread to give others a peek inside your world or to demonstrate your expertise on a topic.
- Give feedback. Use your knowledge and experience to answer other members' questions. Just click "Reply to Discussion" to the right of any discussion post, or comment underneath a library entry. Don’t forget to @Mention your peers in posts.
- Spread knowledge. Upload useful resources to the League community library, check out what others have uploaded, and keep the sharing going.